Friday, August 21, 2015

Around the Homestead


Here's an update of what's been happening around our little wannabe homestead these days.  We got our first honey harvest out of one of our hives....3 whole bars of capped honey.  We got 12 small jars from those bars, and Justin took some to work and had them all sold within 30 minutes.  That same hive has 6 more bars ready, so we will be harvesting again soon!  This particular hive is really productive but also a little aggressive.  I think Justin's been stung about 16 times while working that hive. 







Here's the honey straining from the wax.  My next project....beeswax candles.  I'm so excited!



Last weekend Justin was working on a side job, so the boys and I hung out at the bike park and them came home and made some oatmeal scotchies for Daddy (Dallas's idea).




Our neighbor across the street has a bunch of dead trees in his yard, so we scored all the free firewood we can haul for this winter.  WOOT!  So here's my guys bringing home a load.




and stacking it...


Meet Little Jerry Seinfeld...he's getting ready to make an exit, so just wanted everyone to meet him now.  One of the chicks that I got in the spring turned out to be a rooster.  I thought there for a while I might keep him, but he has started to crow a little and is fighting with the hens.  So if someone on Craigslist doesn't take him within a week, he's making a trip out behind the fence with Justin.  That'll take him down a notch....or a head...whatever.....

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about oatmeal scotchies yesterday....yum

    ReplyDelete